How to setup ToscaDistributionAgent in a CITRIX environment
Setting up Tosca Distributed Execution (DEX) in a CITRIX environment can be tricky.
This guide will explain the necessary initial configuration steps to run multiple ToscaDistributionAgents on the same machine.
Tosca Distributed Execution is designed for execution/distribution of ExecutionLists between several machines/VMs that have Tosca installed and that run the ToscaDistributionAgent.
In a CITRIX environment the setup however requires certain initial configuration steps to make it work.
CITRIX is defined through one environment and every user is working on an instance of this environment.
This means, that every instance in general works on the same machine, and therefore uses the same installed applications.
The main challenge in the context of Tosca DEX is now, to run several unique instances of ToscaDistributionAgent on the same machine.
We assume that several users (User1, User2, User3, ...) exist on the machine.
- Login to the machine with User1
- Copy the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\TRICENTIS\Tosca Testsuite\ToscaCommander\DistributedExecution\Agent to a location where User1 has read and write access
- Rename the new directory to 'Agent_User1'
- Create a workspace to the common repository with the Name ‘Workspace_User1’
- Login into this workspace and create a new Tosca user for this machine ‘User1’
- Within the folder C:\ProgramData\TRICENTIS\TOSCA Testsuite\7.0.0\DistributedExecutionAgent create a new Directory called ‘Agent_User1’
- Open up the ToscaDistributionAgent.exe.config from the newly created agent directory ‘Agent_User1’
- Set the path to the newly created workspace:
<setting name="Workspace" serializeAs="String"> <value>Path/To/Workspace_User1</value> </setting>
- Set ‘User1’ as the workspace user
Also set the password if required.
<setting name="UserName" serializeAs="String"> <value>User1</value> </setting> <setting name="Password" serializeAs="String"> <value>Password1</value> </setting>
- Set a valid open TCP port for EACH agent
This requires an open port range e.g. from 9002 – 10000 depending on the number of agents you want to run on your CITRIX environment
<setting name="PortForServerCallbacks" serializeAs="String"> <value>9002</value> </setting>
- Save the ToscaDistributionAgent.exe.config from the newly created agent directory ‘Agent_User1’
- Run the ToscaDistributionAgent.exe from the newly created agent directory ‘Agent_User1’
- As soon as the agent is green (Idle), right click on the agent symbol within the Tray icon and click Configure Agent.
- Set the HostName setting to guarantee a unique name for the agent and Save
- Log off the machine and repeat the steps with every other user that should host an agent.