Guide on how to generate custom excel based reporting out of Tosca
Tosca is a great tool with so many different features that it amazes on what it can achieve. This KB article can be a guide on how to create a Daily Status Report for various projects executed from Tosca (both manual and automation). We have Tosca Analytics which is web-based available to everyone within the organization to view the execution rates, but mostly the excel based reporting is needed as part of the process within BAU. Thanks to Alexander Ertl for doing the reporting within Tosca.
Projects need excel based reporting to continue their BAU activities for various releases and projects within the release. In those times, generating an excel report manually is time-consuming. There are various ways to achieve this objective within Tosca.
One can simply create an excel based reporting - Daily status report - to be precise out of Tosca. This needs some designing of the report and then extracting the report out of Tosca.
Steps to generate excel based report out of Tosca and how to achieve it in one click
- Design an excel report in Tosca (fyi screenshot below) - subset attached.
- This excel report is now available on the context menu of the folder or execution list and a XML report is generated in the corresponding workspace's Report folder (fyi screenshot below)
- To automate this generation without opening Tosca we can use an excel based macro or vbs file as part of windows scheduler or anything else that will work out
- Attaching the excel macro which will
- Generate a TCS file - to automate Tosca using TCShell - file attached
- Generate a bat file - to invoke TCShell.exe and run the TCShell file with various commands
- TCS File - will contain the commands to login to Tosca Workspace and generate the report
- Once we have achieved the generation of the report out of Tosca we can then use the same macro or a new macro to generate a DSR based on the information that is available. Ex. screenshot below
Please reach out to me if you need any other information.